Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Solved: Maybe upgrading my PC
If my mom says yes, i'll be upgrading my PC from the following:
GeForce GTX 645
Intel Core i5-4430 @ 3.0 GHz
and no fan???

TO THIS
MSi GeForce GTX 1060
Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3.5ghz (3.9 overclocked)
Cooler Master 212 evo
I run an HP Omen 870 with the following specs: Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.4ghz, NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB RAM, 256GB SanDisk SSD
, 2TB Seagate HDD, HP 2B4B MoBo

WinFuck 10
[Image: jihad_jeep.png]

psu, mobo, hdd, ram?
install windows vista
so its a good thing you came here and didn't just roll with it right away.
First off, the motherboard you currently have is socket 1150 with ddr3 ram (amirite?)
If you then go ahead and buy a new cpu, it won't fit as the one you're looking at is socket 1151 (not compatible with your motherboard)
And then its the case that you upgrade your motherboard to a socket 1151, which has ddr4 ram (most likely), That will not be compatible with your current ram.
So there are a lot of things you need to think about, and upgrading just one part of your pc is often not a possibility.

So my suggestion is to go big and do a full system upgrade (which you most likely will have to if you're upgrading your cpu)
And before you buy the parts, you need to check whats compatible and what not

I'm still very new to pc building, so if theres something more you need to know, @SirRandoom is the guy to talk to. He knows his shit
Moved thread to Technical support next time make sure you post in the right sub-forum.
My YouTube Channel               PC Specs
Desktop specs:                                                                                        Laptop Specs: 
CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz                                                                        CPU: i5 7300HQ
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2-Way SLI                            GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz GEiL                                                        RAM: 8GB
Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97
Porkchop is right, your looking at buying a different socket CPU from the socket you have currently, and the cpu will not run right based on that alone. You can buy a processor in that line that still uses that socket and should be able to use it, but you need to look at thspecs of the mother board to make sure.

Next, make sure if you are going to upgrade your video card that you power supply can handle the power draw. System builders usally skimp on the PSU to what they require right out of the box. 

With the 212 evo, check your clearances, its a great cooler and works well with alot of CPUs, but motherboards and caes are another thing entirely.  I have heard many people complain that due to the clack of clearance they were not able to use it because it hit their ram, northbridge, or case and were not able to seat it on the board.

Also, looking at the overclocking aspect, dont try to go to the peak speed on an aircooler, as it will not work. Air coolers do not dissapate the heat well enough for the cpu to function properly at that level.
Thread has been inactive for more than a month.

Locked & Archived.