Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Solved: need tips for new screen (old one is dying)
Hey guys, 

The moment has come after 6 years that my 27 inch screen (LG Flatron IPS277L-BN 60hz) has started to make a high pitched noise and flashing when i start up windows. when i get past the inlog screen it wont flicker anymore. a high pitched sound remains tho..
after a quick search i read that this is usually caused by a dying capacitor... i am waiting for the moment it wont start up anymore..

so now i need a new screen that works together well with my 1080 8gb and doesnt cost me a rib out of my body, and is IPS or similair in screen quality. my budget is around 700 ish

can you guys help me find a good screen? 

Thanks for reading!
Not much to go on. What resolution, size or refresh rate do you want? With a budget like that (700 is quite a lot for a screen) there are a lot of "special" requirements you could have or special features you could get (think about 4K resolution, 144-240hz, 21:9 aspect ratio etc etc). Without knowning what you want in terms of features it's not really possible to make a proper recommendation for a screen without just posting some random good 500-700 dollar monitors.
My YouTube Channel               PC Specs
Desktop specs:                                                                                        Laptop Specs: 
CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz                                                                        CPU: i5 7300HQ
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2-Way SLI                            GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz GEiL                                                        RAM: 8GB
Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97
(02-25-2018, 05:09 PM)Stinger Wrote: Not much to go on. What resolution, size or refresh rate do you want? With a budget like that (700 is quite a lot for a screen) there are a lot of "special" requirements you could have or special features you could get (think about 4K resolution, 144-240hz, 21:9 aspect ratio etc etc). Without knowning what you want in terms of features it's not really possible to make a proper recommendation for a screen without just posting some random good 500-700 dollar monitors.

the features i look for are:

27 inch
IPS
atleast 120 hz
dunno if 4k resolution is a big game changer vs 1920x1080
not sure if g-sync is smart to do or if a screen without would work good too.

the budget of 700 is kinda because i have no clue if i can find a cheaper screen and most monitors i see with g sync are in the high prices Undecided
(02-25-2018, 04:36 PM)Rosastar1991 Wrote: Hey guys, 

The moment has come after 6 years that my 27 inch screen (LG Flatron IPS277L-BN 60hz) has started to make a high pitched noise and flashing when i start up windows. when i get past the inlog screen it wont flicker anymore. a high pitched sound remains tho..
after a quick search i read that this is usually caused by a dying capacitor... i am waiting for the moment it wont start up anymore..

so now i need a new screen that works together well with my 1080 8gb and doesnt cost me a rib out of my body, and is IPS or similair in screen quality. my budget is around 700 ish

can you guys help me find a good screen? 

Thanks for reading!

i can realy recomend this monitor, i have had great experience using it https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG278Q/
(02-25-2018, 05:17 PM)Rosastar1991 Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 05:09 PM)Stinger Wrote: Not much to go on. What resolution, size or refresh rate do you want? With a budget like that (700 is quite a lot for a screen) there are a lot of "special" requirements you could have or special features you could get (think about 4K resolution, 144-240hz, 21:9 aspect ratio etc etc). Without knowning what you want in terms of features it's not really possible to make a proper recommendation for a screen without just posting some random good 500-700 dollar monitors.

the features i look for are:

27 inch
IPS
atleast 120 hz
dunno if 4k resolution is a big game changer vs 1920x1080
not sure if g-sync is smart to do or if a screen without would work good too.

the budget of 700 is kinda because i have no clue if i can find a cheaper screen and most monitors i see with g sync are in the high prices Undecided

Well, getting a 4K monitor at 120Hz or more wouldn't make much sense with the specs you have, since a single GTX 1080 won't be able to play games at 4k at much more than 60 fps most of the time (unless you significantly lower the graphical settings). Also, at 27 inch I think 4K is a bit of an overkill. Imo a 1440p monitor would make more sense; it definetly improves the quality a lot, but it's not even close to 4K in terms of how demanding it is. 
As for G-sync. A monitor works perfectly fine without G-sync. All g-sync does is match the refresh rate of your monitor to the fps in-game and vice versa (trying to get the maximum out of your performance and screen). This reduces an artifact called screen tearing which some people can't stand (personally I'm not bothered by it that much).

The monitor the TristanABeck suggested is fine, but nothing special besides it being 144 Hz. I own the 24 inch version of this monitor. It has a TN panel (considerably worse color accuracy than IPS which you wanted, but some manual color tweaking can improve it a lot). 

IPS will also drive up the price considerably, since IPS panels are slower than TN which making it harder to get IPS panels at 120 Hz or more which in turn drives up the price.

With all this in mind there's not much within your budget (there aren't even any 1080p monitors with 120 Hz or more and IPS technology at 27 inch in The Netherlands). 
From the limited options I'd probably recommend this one https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/439714/a...zwart.html because of the decent pricing and the brand being reputable when it comes to making monitors. It's 1440p, 27 inch, IPS, 144 Hz.
Desktop specs:                                                                                        Laptop Specs: 
CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz                                                                        CPU: i5 7300HQ
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G 2-Way SLI                            GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz GEiL                                                        RAM: 8GB
that paragraph tho ^^^

Do you really need g sync if you have 120hz monitor ? 120fps isnt enough for you ?

BTW my friend has a 4k monitor and a GTX 1080 and he gets 28fps in gta v @ 4k very high and around 38fps in normal - high.
(03-01-2018, 04:23 PM)hrishi Wrote: that paragraph tho ^^^

Do you really need g sync if you have 120hz monitor ? 120fps isnt enough for you ?

BTW my friend has a 4k monitor and a GTX 1080 and he gets 28fps in gta v @ 4k very high and around 38fps in normal - high.

You obviously don't know what G-sync does. G-sync matches the frequency of your monitor to your fps in-game up to the max frequency of the monitor (for example 120 Hz). So if you can only get 77 FPS in a game at a given time the frequency of your monitor will adjust to 77 Hz. This reduces screen tearing which happens when the frequency and the fps don't match up.
So the question shouldn't be :"isn't 120 fps enough for you?" but: "does screen tearing bother you enough to pay money to prevent it?"
tearing happens when fps exceeds monitors refresh rate, monitor kinda merges 2 frames into 1 so u see half of every frame and u see tearing ( its my theory lol in real it is something similar like this ). So if fps cant reach 120  on a 120hz monitor you should not see tearing issue.

BTW i know what g sync / freesync does i hv a freesync monitor.Though i hv nvidia gpu...
(03-01-2018, 06:18 PM)hrishi Wrote: tearing happens when fps exceeds monitors refresh rate, monitor kinda merges 2 frames into 1 so u see half of every frame and u see tearing ( its my theory lol in real it is something similar like this ). So if fps cant reach 120  on a 120hz monitor you should not see tearing issue.

BTW i know what g sync / freesync does i hv a freesync monitor.Though i hv nvidia gpu...

Tearing also happens when you have less frames than your monitor displays. Just think about it. If you have 77 FPS on a 120 Hz monitor the frames still don't line up with the monitor's refresh rate. The monitor will refresh more often than your GPU will. So when your monitor refreshes the GPU isn't ready for the next frame (cuz it's slower). Then somewhere in the process of refreshing the GPU will come with the next frame, resulting in screen tearing. This happens because monitors refresh from top to bottom over a small time period.
(03-01-2018, 06:41 PM)Stinger Wrote:
(03-01-2018, 06:18 PM)hrishi Wrote: tearing happens when fps exceeds monitors refresh rate, monitor kinda merges 2 frames into 1 so u see half of every frame and u see tearing ( its my theory lol in real it is something similar like this ). So if fps cant reach 120  on a 120hz monitor you should not see tearing issue.

Tearing also happens when you have less frames than your monitor displays. Just think about it. If you have 77 FPS on a 120 Hz monitor the frames still don't line up with the monitor's refresh rate. The monitor will refresh more often than your GPU will. So when your monitor refreshes the GPU isn't ready for the next frame (cuz it's slower). Then somewhere in the process of refreshing the GPU will come with the next frame, resulting in screen tearing. This happens because monitors refresh from top to bottom over a small time period.

hmm right i did not know that one
why get a freesync monitor when you have nvidia gpu, makes no sense... Also, i love my G-sync Monitor at 144hz, im glad i got it but its not vital. It adds an extra £200 to the price at least...
  [Image: 14c1bb31762465abd97c35fe2141b067.png] <--- Click here--->[Image: d7e9fca5e25f089a96766f35742a3591.jpg]
Wow, thanks for all the reactions, it helps me alot Smile
(03-01-2018, 06:50 PM)Leopard.Gaming Wrote: why get a freesync monitor when you have nvidia gpu, makes no sense... Also, i love my G-sync Monitor at 144hz, im glad i got it but its not vital. It adds an extra £200 to the price at least...

I did not buy it because it has freesync, I bought it cuz it is cheap and has 1ms response time Tongue. Though I hardly see any diff between 1ms and 5ms on 75hz lol, but cheap so why not
you could just buy the Asus ROG moniter it comes with eye care and a curved screen and the eye care actually works
^^which is expensive if you want decent screen specs. Which is because of G-sync which increases the price. if you go slightly lower tier then you get freesync- which is for AMD graphics cards. Rosa here has an NVidia graphics card- a gtx 1080. Curved monitors are usually expensive too if you want 1440p 1ms response time and 144hz.

A good monitor to base from is this and go from here.
On the other hand depending on prices in Netherlands this monitor is actually a great price  at the moment in the uk.
  [Image: 14c1bb31762465abd97c35fe2141b067.png] <--- Click here--->[Image: d7e9fca5e25f089a96766f35742a3591.jpg]
SOLVED
(03-16-2018, 12:14 AM)Rosastar1991 Wrote: SOLVED

With what and leo  the asus i got was a grant because i have rod cone dystrophy which means i cant see so well.